Sunday 7 August 2011

Introduction

My name is Barb and I have started this blog with the intention of documenting my quilting adventures.  I'm not sure if I'm just poorly organized or if all quilters feel a little overwhelmed at all the patterns, gadgets, tools, and information that is a result of this obession!!!  I am hoping that by documenting my adventures I can look back through this blog in years to come and have easy access to that which is important to me!!  That's my plan....wish me luck!!

My adventure started in the fall of 2008 when I finally took the plunge and enrolled in a beginner quilting course at a LQS.  I have sewn since I was in junior high school but although I enjoyed the sewing part of it....trying to make it fit a body was never my cup of tea!!  So I kept it simple and sewed pj's and sweatsuits and simple things when my kids were small.....and as they grew and got involved in sports my sewing machine sat idle for many years aside from the many mending jobs!!

I have always been interested in learning to quilt, but there never seemed to be enough time....raising a family and working full time.  In August of 2008 I found out that my niece was expecting twins!!!  And I decided now was the time to learn to quilt and that I would make the babies quilts!!  Although I wouldn't do that again.....it gave me the push to get started!!!  Having the pressure of making gifts while you are trying to learn a new craft is probably not the best plan.....but it worked out alright....although I do wish I knew then what I know now!!

The beginner class consisted of making a sampler quilt based on Eleanor Burns book "It's "El" ementary.

I knew after the first few classes that I would be hooked on this hobby!!!  Here is the quilt top I made in the class.  As you can see although I have sandwiched it...it is still not quilted.....I had to get those baby quilts made and I still have not gotten back to it!!  More on that later!!

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Welcome to the world of quilting and blogging! Enjoy!!